I'm an engineer manager and cancer survivor, diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 2004, beating it in 2005. I live and work in the Blue Mountains, with my wife Julia, and our two girls Penny and Lijsbeth.
By day I lead a product-focused R&D team at Bulletproof, who are distributed around the world. Together we build platforms to help other teams within our organisation succeed. I help make this happen by doing two key things for the team: remove obstactles and limit interruptions.
Convening the second ever DevOps conference in the world in Sydney in 2010, I'm currently the Secretary of DevOps Australia, and co-organise the monthly Sydney DevOps meetups, the longest running DevOps meetup in the world.
I speak internationally about both the cultural and technical side of DevOps, covering Just Culture, complexity, cognitive biases, and monitoring tools.
I run, read, and music in my spare time.
Looking to hire me? See my resume.
I publish most of my code on GitHub, but the highlights are:
- Flapjack, a monitoring notification routing and event processing system.
- Visage, a web service + interface for collectd statistics.
- Gastro, a Google Maps mashup of the NSW Food Authority's name-and-shame lists.
- cucumber-nagios, lets you describe how websites should work in plain text, and outputs whether they do in the Nagios plugin format.
- @nswbushfires Twitter bot, posting current bushfire incidents in NSW.